Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Family Support
Questions about breast cancer & family support.
160 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
4/3/2006I have been dealing with biopsies,etc. for about 3 months. I was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 weeks ago. Left breast only but electing prophylactic mastectomy with immediate expander reconstruction. Surgery in about 2 more weeks. I have been dealing with all of this alone. I read one of the questions about husbands. Mine seems nothing is going on also. I have major anxiety, My family lives up north and doesn't seem to take time for me except on the phone. I have alway's been the giver with 4 siblings & parents. They need something I am there. I have reached out to them and I hear.. Oh, things will be fine, your strong you'll pull through. I am so sick to my stomach and can't believe my family isn't here for me. I had 2 best friends and they passed away. I pretend around people that I am okay because when I have cryed or show any sadness. I get told to not feel sorry for myself. I cry behind closed doors. Heartless, heartless. I am not looking for pity. The worst comment was when my husband said "It's not like your going to die" I was outraged. I am on his health insurance. I am considering leaving him. I really need some "POSITIVE" support. I can't seem to shake what my family is doing. I don't want a support group. What kind of psycologist specializes in cancer patients? Sorry to vent. Thanks
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
4/4/2006get the book "Breast Cancer Husband" by Marc Silver. encourage your husband to read it. you need to be going through this "together." also call the Y-ME hotline ( for support for yourself...

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.