Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Family Support
Questions about breast cancer & family support.
162 This functionality is disabled from time to time due to volume.

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
6/27/2006My stepmother was diagnosed with IBC in 1992 at which time she had a double mastectomy,radiation, and hypobarics. She was in remission for 7 years, then the tissue on her chest developed the same form of cancer 3 more times from 1999 to 2004. Ultimately, she was found to be ER positive and started on oral treatment. In March of 2006, the same type cancer was found to have metastisized to the bones of her hip and spine, her liver, her bile duct, and possibly her pancreas and gallbladder. For about the last 2 months she has been vomiting what seems to be bile about every 2-3 days. Last week she developed a fever and apparently pneumonia and has been hospitalized. Last night she began having extreme pain in her liver. I have never heard her complain about pain even in all she's been through. I live in another state and my question is, should I go there immediately? I am already planning to go this weekend, I guess I just want to be prepared if the end is very close. Thank you.
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
6/27/2006if i were you, I'd go...

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.