Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Family Support
Questions about breast cancer & family support.
160 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
3/30/2008My mother first had breast cancer in 1990; mastectomy,chemo radiation and tamoxifen for 5 years. Doctor dismissed her after 10 years. She was rediagnosed in Jan 2005 and had another mastectomy. Mets to the bones was discovered in December 2005. She started Arimidex and stayed on it until November 2007 when her oncologist said it is no longer effective. She tried Xeloda 1000 Miligrams daily for about 3 months but had to stop because she could not tolerate it and her doctor said it is not effective anyway. She has no mets other than to the bone. Her doctor turned her back to her primary care physician, but said he will still see her for pallative radiation if needed for pain control. She has been losing weightnsince December and is now aprx 114 lbs. Her oncologist does not wish to estimate her lifespan,and only says to expect good days and bad days. She seems to be depressed-agitated, fatigued,and trouble speaking. We need help but do not know where to turn. What should we expect the progression of her condition to be?
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
3/31/2008if she is losing weight, is having some cognitive changes, it makes me worry that the disease is beyond just a spot on her bones. may be time to consider a brain MRI. also a second opinion consultation with another medical oncologist. there are other hormonal therapies to consider trying too. additional tests though would help in determining just how advanced the disease really is. then time frame for what to expect can be better determined.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.