Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Family Support
Questions about breast cancer & family support.
160 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
6/9/2011I was diagnosed with ADH a few weeks ago and am sch for a incional biopsy on friday. When doing some research on the internet my daughter found a site I left up and was very upset and asked me about it. So now of course she wants to be involved. She is 18 but will always be my baby girl. I want to let her feel involved and like she is helping me but she is only 18 and she has other things to worry about other then me. I am not so much worried now but if the biopsy comming up comes back with DCIS. So were so I draw the line and what is to much for her. We have always been close I was 20 when she was born and this has been hard for her
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
6/9/2011It's very moving to hear such love between mother and daughter. Since you don't know if DCIS or not, try not to over react and worry, which we know is difficult. If remains as ADH, that does put you in a more high risk situation for breast cancer. If DCIS (ductal carcinoma in situ) reassure your self and your daughter that DCIS is considered stage 0 breast cancer, the earliest stage there is, and is highly treatable and curable! Information on the internet can be helpful, but can also be scary, and please remember it's not talking about you as an individual. Since you and your daughter are close, and she is an adult, I would include her in as much as you feel comfortable. We recommend that you seek consultation at a Comprehensive Breast Center where you will be examined and evaluated by breast experts, and can receive all care 'under one roof'. Best wishes, and wish for good news.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.