Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Family Support
Questions about breast cancer & family support.
160 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
9/12/2014My wife survived breast cancer and has been cancer free for 5 years now. I continue to look for support for me. I did what husbands should do when she had cancer. What am I supposed to do about how it left me? The surgeons saved her life by saving her life. Now, how do I get my love life back? It's gone. The plastic surgeon was a total dumb ass and nothing is appealing to me. If you have ever watched the TV show "botched," you might have a small insight to what I'm talking about. The breast is malformed, has no sensation from the ribs up and no nipple. What the hell? Every time I see it, I get pissed about the whole situation all over again. This has to be killing my wife more than me and would feel better killing someone than doing this.
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
9/12/2014There is a book called Breast Cancer Husband that might be helpful for you. Consider couples therapy. you love your wife not because of what she physically looks like but because of who she is inside, right? that's what needs to be the focus. if her reconstruction went poorly, and she agrees, go together to another plastic surgeon to get it fixed.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.