Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Psychological Support
Questions about support for the mental aspects of breast cancer & treatement.
404 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
2/28/2015In treatment for newly dx METS. with excellent responce to TPH therapy. ( IDC Stage 3 in 2012 ., with TCH, surgery,rads).

Age 64, full life, MOLST and The Conversation project done, at peace with my situation. As active as I can be. Have a wonderful therapy dog I trained.

Q. At what point should I stop treatment? I would prefer younger persons with children and full lives ahead to get the bulk of the treatment.

I really don't want to continue treatment indefinitely especially if it impacts my quality of life.

( My other family members live to be 80-100 so this is a major concern, and I am glad I won't be dying of old age....)
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
3/1/2015When you are finding that treatment isn't working as well or at all, and the remaining treatment options are going to negatively impact your quality of life, then is the time for a thoughtful discussion and request for hospice consult. you should be seeing a palliative care doc now for symptom management. people think palliative care only happens when treatment stops. wrong. they are to be involved early on.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.