Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Concerns about Breast Cancer Family History
Questions on genetics, family history & breast cancer.
850 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
8/3/2016Lillie, first let me thank you for your service! I have checked in with this site throughout my 8 yr in remission from ER/PR+ HER2 neg BC met to bone and liver at diagnosis (age 41) - doxorub/docetaxel, bilat mastectomies, chest and neck radiation, liver radiation, T9 radiation all in '09, on arimidex since. Maternal GM BC age 72 and mother BC age 54, ov CA age 77. BRCA1/2 neg in mom (2015) and self (2009). Genetics panel 2015 neg in self. I have a 12 y/o daughter, nieces in their 20s and two female cousins with second cousins as well from Florida to WA. 1) How do we find high risk breast specialists? Is there a nationwide listing? 2)Are oral contraceptives linked to BC, and still thought to reduce risk of ovarian CA? Thanks so much.
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
8/4/2016thanks for those kind words.

1. go to a comprehensive breast center that is part of an NCI designated cancer center. they will have such professionals. there is not a nation wide list.

2. if taken for more than 5 consecutive years it increases risk of breast cancer. it does reduce risk of ovarian cancer.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.