Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Questions to ask to ensure you are in good hands
Questions on what to ask to make sure your in good hands.
2,500 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
4/6/20172010 had lumpectomy, mammosite radiation,4 round of chemotherapy for Her2+ stage 2
Was recently diagnosed with metastasized breast cancer in the bones. I have lesions in most of the bones including spine, legs, collarbone, breastbone, skull, etc. But, it has not entered any organs. I am taking 3000 mg daily of Xeloda every other week. Due for another PET scan the end of this month. If these pills are working, how long can I stay on them? If they are not working, what is the next step? Can you give a second opinion with medical records only?
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
4/6/2017the oncologist will likely keep you on these medicines for as long as they are working. Bone is considered an organ, BTW. we hope that this med shrinks the metastatic lesions to be much smaller. if there are specific spots causing pain, sometimes spot radiation is also used. That said, we need to really see you to determine how best to guide you. 443-997-1513. you didn't mention being on Herceptin now or in the past. HER2 positive breast cancer usually means going on this drug for a year to prevent metastatic disease from happening and there are other HER2 positive drugs too for metastatic lesions if they happen as yours have.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.