Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Psychological Support
Questions about support for the mental aspects of breast cancer & treatement.
404 This functionality is disabled from time to time due to volume.

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
I have been treated for stage one breast cancer, finished treatment 4 months ago (radiation,now tamoxifen) my cancer was found while getting a ultrasound for a suspected bite that looked infected on breast,so found by accident. Had clear sentinel node, have asked doctors about getting tests like should I get uterus checked ultrasound,colonoscopy, and other tests,they say not unless symptoms arise. I worry as my cancer was found by chance,I realise it wasn't in nodes but does having cancer in one spot make you more prone to get say bowel cancer or other cancer,I wonder because my body produces cancer cells who knows where else it could pop up or is. Shouldn't I get some tests ? Should you be getting uterus scans if taking tamoxifen? I'm 41 years old. Thankful for all you do,
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
7/22/2017Be sure to be getting mammograms now annually. if you have irregular vaginal bleeding then that is reason for getting a transvginal ultrasound. colonoscopy will start at age 50 and done every 10 years unless you have had a first degree relative who has already had colorectal cancer. no other tests or scans needed. the breast imaging radiologist will determine what the density is of your breast tissue to determine if MRI is ever needed or not.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.