Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Family Support
Questions about breast cancer & family support.
162 This functionality is disabled from time to time due to volume.

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
9/17/2017Good evening,
I need some advice. My mom is still battling stage IV TNBC, had a recurrence in brain in July 2016 and has slowly gotten worse since then. A spot of mets each in her lungs, liver, nodes, brain mets seem to be staying stable at the moment. All TNBC. She is on her first round of Xeloda, which is her third line chemo, and now she stopped eating and drinking. She says nothing sounds good, she won't drink boost or ensure, she just wants to lay there. This happened in July-she gets dehydrated and ends up in the hospital for a week while they push fluids. I honestly don't know how to convince her to at least drink water. II know we can't force feed her, but she keeps thinking she is going to miraculously be cured, but won't do anything to help herself, and refuses to see a counselor to help her. I feel bad nagging her, I know you're not supposed to do that,but it's not like she's got a week to live so she's not hungry. I feel she's being stubborn and the less she eats the more attention she gets. I'm not seeing her exhibit any other signs that she is near passing away,that's the only reason I think this is a personal choice of hers and not a medical one. Do you know any tricks I can use, or since it's been a year already are we facing that time with her?
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
9/17/2017call her medical oncologist and have him arrange for a therapist to see and evaluate her. if he orders it she will likely go. also ask him if the area within the brain where her lesions are are located anywhere near where her appetite stimulator is.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.