Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
ADH - Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia
Questions about atypical ductal hyperplasia.
1,082 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
10/27/2017At age 69,I was diagnosed with ADH and calcifications a year ago. At time of biopsy, a clip was inserted but was "lost". Radiologist took picture after picture trying to find clip. I was in severe pain and was bruised beyond belief afterwards. Under great pressure from another radiologist who "found" the clip which had migrated away from the site, I saw a surgeon who talked me into an excisional biopsy. I pled with him to let me wait a few months. I had just gone off HRT (stupid of me to continue it so long, I know.). He let me wait two months. On the day before the surgery, I saw the good radiologist who did mammograms and couldn't find any adh any more. I don't want to go back for more mammograms ever. No history of breast cancer in family, but I have had fibroadenomas in the past. The radiologist (the good one) wants me to come in every six months.
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
10/27/2017There is no way to look at a mammogram and determine that no more ADH is there, or determine if there are cancer cells where the ADH biopsy was previously done. standard of care is to do a surgical biopsy to rule out the presence of breast cancer already being there among the ADH cells.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.