Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Breast Biopsy
Questions about the definition, risks and results of breast biopsy.
5,293 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
11/3/2017Received a call back on my regular screening mammogram. The report said "new small cluster of microcalcifications found." However, when I met with a breast surgeon he said they looked fine to him and that after reviewing my last year's mammogram they were on that one as well and were "relatively unchanged." He recommended that I go back for the diagnostic mammogram and the report indicated "fairly course calcifications that are likely benign" and recommended a six month follow up. Birads 3. While I feel somewhat confident that they are benign, I'm worried that the radiologist seemed to either miss it last year or thought they were fine (I don't know). Now I've had them for almost 18 months at least and am due for my six month follow up. But I'm worried about it.
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
11/5/2017it's important that the radiologist be a breast imaging radiologist and the surgeon specialize in breast CANCER -- breast surgical oncologist. that said, clusters of new calcs warrant usually a closer look. defining "relatively unchanged" warrants further explanation. if on magnification they appear spherical then this would be good news. if they are individually irregular in their shape, known as being pleomorphic, then a biopsy is needed.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.