Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Breast Abnormalities and Other Symptoms
General questions about breast health and possible symptoms.
14,868 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
11/9/2017Hi! I'm 38, still have regular cycle. Had a mass removed in left upper inner breast a year ago because it had ADH and PASH in core needle biopsy. Final diagnosis was ADH, ALH, FEA, PASH. I had a 3D diagnostic mammo in Sept that was clear.
My breast are heterogeneously dense. I also have fibrocystic breasts. Both sides get very sore around ovulation every month until a couple days into my cycle.
This month I noticed one specific area in the upper outer left breast that was more sore than the rest. To me it feels like possibly a lymph node or something in my lobule (my breasts are very lumpy) but I do not feel a specific lump with associated pain. It's been sore for 3 weeks and has continued even though the rest of my breast soreness has resided and sometimes it burns or stings inside. The area I had biopsied is not hurting or burning.
I know I'm extra sensitive because of my previous diagnosis. Should I call my Breast Surgeon? Wait a couple weeks and see if it's still painful? I'm in Los Angeles so coming to you isn't really an option.
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
11/13/2017usually these symptoms are associated with a benign breast cyst. call your surgeon and ask if you should have a diagnostic mammogram done.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.