Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Questions to ask to ensure you are in good hands
Questions on what to ask to make sure your in good hands.
2,536 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
12/15/2017Hi Lillie,
I was treated for TNBC- Stage 1 (1.9cm) two years ago, had mastectomy, CTx4- No Radiation-go every 6 months p.o. with Onco. Also 13 years ago I had hysterectomy (cervix was removed)done not cancer related. About a week ago I experienced vaginal bleeding and burning sensation, called my doctor's office and was told that my symptoms described a uterine infection and was given antibiotics only- I called my OBG and made an appointment for a check up. Is this something my Onco should evaluate or my OBG- What should they be looking for, test to be done- I'm so worried thinking this could be the cancer returning as stage 4- Can not sleep thinking about this. Please help.
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
12/15/2017if you have had a hysterectomy then your uterus would be "gone", along with the cervix. vaginal bleeding therefore would be very concerning unless it is light spotting that is associated with vaginal tissue that is very thin and subject to bleeding, especially during intercourse. see your gyn this week. he/she needs to determine where the bleeding is coming from. hopefully the bleeding is superficial and nothing more than that. have your gyn call your med onc doctor immediately after you are seen. if it is due to thinning of the vaginal tissue caused by lack of estrogen, sometimes estrogen cream or tabs inserted vaginally twice a week can address this type of problem. hope this helps. L

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.