Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Breast Abnormalities and Other Symptoms
General questions about breast health and possible symptoms.
14,870 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
1/14/2018Hi there,

I have some red patched on my breast. I have a big one on the underside of my breast and a small one near the top and one in my cleavage. I have been to the Dr 3x now for this. I've had them for about a month now. The Dr first thought it was plugged ducts as I am nursing my 20 month old daughter still and I had been taking lactation cookies at the time. After 2 weeks they weren't gone, so she sent me for an ultrasound. I got my results 2 weeks later and it found no abnormalities. I'm so worried it's IBC and it's being missed. My Dr said she can refer me to breast specialist, but she doesn't think there is anything to worry about and also told me to get cancer out of my head. The rash looks lighter or almost not visible sometimes. Other times it is still very prominent. I've also red that IBC rash can come and go,and that it doesn't always show up on an ultrasound
I'm so sick with worry
I have two young children. I just want this all to go away. I'm going to call my dr ask to see the breast surgeon tomorrow. I guess I'm just looking for any other ideas as to what this could be. No one else seems to be as concerned as I am.
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
1/15/2018IBC doesn't come and go. it comes and stays, and gets worse. see a breast specialist so that this can be properly diagnosed and treated. we hope it will be a local infection.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.