Ask an Expert: View a Question

Ask an Expert is a free question-and-answer service about breast cancer and breast health that is available on weekends. If you'd like to ask a question or comment, please visit us again on Saturday or Sunday. In the meantime, please search the existing topics using the search tool at the top of the page. It's quite possible that one of our many existing topics already addresses your question.

If you would like a consultation with a breast specialist at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center, call 443-997-8282. It is possible to get an appointment for a second opinion within a few days of contacting us.

We hope you find the information helpful!.

ForumQuestionsAsk a Question
Breast Biopsy
Questions about the definition, risks and results of breast biopsy.
5,292 Ask a Question

AskedPublicly Submitted Question
2/3/2018I have a diagnostic Mamogram showing birad 4b microcalcifications about 4 small upper outer quandrant of left breast. I am 53 no history of BC in family. I only had a few months of HRT menipoause at 51 and a half. I have no palpable lump no prior history of any cancer. I had a consult with radiologist said biopsy I so not want sterotactic biopsy. I don't want radiation with ionizing radiation. I would like a clean surgical excision and don't care about the scar. I just want the least amount of radiation in my breast. I am well informed of American and European studies on Bc diagnosis and treatment s is it possible I can get the biopsy with no more Mamogram rather MRI or ultrasound which I know is used for lumps. Is it possible to just remove the area and test it. Thank you.
RepliedJHU's Breast Center Reply
2/4/2018The first step is a breast biopsy to determine exactly was this is and if it needs to be surgically removed. You will still need to get yearly mammograms regardless of the diagnosis. Yes, doctors, can surgically remove the area and send it for pathology, but we recommend having a biopsy first to determine the appropriate course of treatment.

Please note: This service is not intended to provide primary medical advice concerning specific medical care or treatment. Ask an Expert is a free service operated by health care professionals at the Johns Hopkins Avon Foundation Breast Center. Due to the volume of questions and their complexity, there are times when medical oncologists, surgeons, radiation oncologists or oncology nurses are consulted for their input. These individuals volunteer their time for this service and will respond as soon as they are able. Please do not post or send the same question to us in multiple locations or categories.

The contents of this portion of the website cannot be used as a substitute for a consultation with your doctor or other healthcare provider. It also may not represent the opinions of other Johns Hopkins professionals. It is a free service performed on volunteer time and intended to provide feedback to questions posted by consumers however should not be used as a directive or instructions to now follow. Seeing your own medical provider is always important in getting your needs and questions addressed. In the majority of cases, a clinical examination, review of pathology slides and xrays, along with other medical information is needed to truly provide a consultative service. If you wish to receive a formal consultation with our physicians please call 443-997-8282 for surgical appointments and 410-955-8964 for medical or radiation oncology appts. For breast imaging, call 410-955-4100.


© The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System, All rights reserved.